Travel and Credit readers, I have to apologize for the lack of updates recently! My life has been absolutely flipped upside down over the last 2 months since my South American trip. To my surprise, I logged into my site stats and the traffic has been WAYYYYY higher than what it used to be on days when I didn’t have posts.
I do still plan on updating this site with good deals relating to travel and credit though. Recently when I’ve taken advantage of some cool deals, I’ve just been posting them on the Travel and Credit Facebook and Twitter. So make sure you follow:
What in the world has been going in with my life?
– Right before I left for South America in May, after the Lord spoke to me, I signed up for a position to be a full time Christian Missionary in South America through Extreme Nazarene. Like full time full time… Not for 2 weeks! The application and approval process is lengthy, and I was off the grid so much in South America that we tried to keep it as a secret in the public eyes. The band’s new album was about to drop, so we didn’t want them to think we were unstable either.
– I haven’t posted about Brazil yet, but that was where I went after Venezuela and IT.WAS.AWESOME! I went to Manaus, Brazil and did a 4 day Amazon Jungle trip which was fantastic. Then we flew to Rio De Janeiro for 6 nights in one of the most beautiful and dynamic cities in the world. Then we finished the trip at the 5 Star Sheraton hotel in Iguazu Falls, Argentina, which is another one of the most beautiful spots on earth!
– For Today (my band)’s new album dropped June 9th, 2012 and it’s first week sales were over 15,000 copies making it #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Hard Rock chart, and also #1 on the Christian charts! Highest selling album in America in any genre is a big deal, so we were excited about that!
– Early June I was accepted into the program to be a full time missionary.
– A week after the release of the new album, and right before the band started the Vans Warped Tour 2012, we publicly announced that I had been accepted to be a full time missionary and that I would be stepping down from the band. They had someone lined up to replace me already as they knew long before the public knew, obviously.
– On September 20th of THIS YEAR I am boarding a plan to Arequipa, Peru using United miles where I will study intensive Spanish for 4 months, and then train in methods to teach the Bible to people and disciple them to be like Christ. All the training lasts for a total of about 6 months including 20 days of studying in Colombia. After the training we will go to a city in South America for 2 years where a team of 4 Americans & 4 Ecuadorians will plant a church from scratch and plant 80 bible study groups in one city. I’m not supposed to post the city on Facebook until September, so I’ve excluded it from this post.
Here’s a video that I filmed to announce to the For Today fans that I was stepping down that explains the story with a little more detail as to how God called me to this new life path:
Most people initially think you’re INSANE when you quit a successful job, ministry, career, etc.. but when the Lord tells you to do something, you need to do it! So yes, I am selling all of my stuff, canceling my apartment lease and paying a penalty, paying to cancel my cell phone & internet card contracts from Verizon, leaving all of my comforts of home, family, & friends, and fundraising a crazy amount of money, but God is GOOD, and His plan for me is GOOD!
A couple of key scripture verses that the Lord has been speaking to me and confirming my purpose have been:
“So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.”
“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” – Matthew 21:22
“I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.” – Psalm 40:8
“The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. – Psalm 12:6
“The one who calls you is faithful, and He will do it.” –
1 Thessalonians 5:24
So if you think I’m insane now, you’re probably right!
Because we are all volunteer missionaries, not paid by anyone, I have to raise $33,000 to cover all costs of living, ministry costs, transportation, immunizations, visas, house, food, and all bills on the field for the 2.5 years. At the end of my 2.5 years I am given the opportunity to serve for another 2 years. If you feel called to donate and help the cause you can do so here:
Frequent flyer mile, credit card, traveling, and awesome deal wise – I’ve got a lot of amazing deals to tell you about, including new credit cards, cards that I’ve gotten, trips I’m taking, and deals I’ve conquered, so stay tuned!